Saturday, October 13, 2007

Miami = far away

Elliott and I had never driven to Miami since we moved here. Yesterday was the first time I made the trip, and wow....that would be one heck of a commute! The office was 34 miles from my home, and it took me a good 45 minutes without traffic (I went at an off traffic time). The guy I interviewed with said it'll be 1 1/2 hour drive with the traffic. Blah!!! To get there and back took a whole 1/4 tank of gas, so it would be expensive if I got this job.

As for the interview, it went pretty well, I guess. It was kinda weird. He didn't want to talk about my experiences very much or about my qualifications. Instead, we talked for an hour about sports. Interesting topic for a job interview, but I just happen to like sports, so I was okay with it. He wanted to know if I liked them, what teams I liked, if I liked college football, and if I was a competitor. I told him I was very competitive, and that I played volleyball for 8 years. He seemed satisfied. He said he liked my resume because I wasn't "cookie-cutter Florida law school graduate"...whatever that means. As long as he liked it, I guess I don't care.

The job seems really interesting. It's federal law subject matter, which means I'd be arguing in the fancy federal courthouses (WAY nicer than state courthouses), and that I'd have to take 2 more bar exams...these are easier exams though, b/c you just learn the federal rules (uh, already know those, thanks) and take a test specifically on those rules. The office was really nice...on the 28th floor of a skyrise in downtown Miami. I liked the firm b/c it is small. There are only 4 attorneys, so I'd be the 5th. I like small firms because I think you can learn more and have better working relationships. They are offering "between $50,000 and $60,000" plus benefits. I was a little bummed at the salary especially considering I'd have to spend so much on gas for the commute, but it is a good salary considering the size of the firm.

They have a pool of applicants, so he said he'd get back to me within a week to let me know if I should come for a 2nd interview with the other partner. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because at least they have shown interest. I don't really have any other options, and beggars can't be choosers. Plus, I think I'd learn a lot since each file they have they assign to one partner and one associate. So that means I'd be working side by side with a partner which is such a great way to learn. So keep your fingers crossed for me!

4 comments:

Stac said...

Good luck with the job search! 1 1/2 commute does kinda suck.

Oh and for the Baby Gap thing, you don't get to vote until November. The judges look at all the pictures and pick 10 for each age group and then they let everyone vote. I just want her to be one of the ten. Then we get a gap card and could shop shop shop!!!

the Rew Crew said...

I like to call the South, and Florida in general--bizarro-land. It is amazing the obsession with sports here.

I totally agree with you on small firms--they are great. Though the money isn't as good, you have much better chances of working normal hours at a small firm, plus the other attorneys should be really supportive.

Good luck! I'm so excited for you!

Brandi Lyn said...

HEY! Congrats on all your law accomlishments, that is SO great! I was excited to see that you found me, you and elliot are so cute! :) My best friend is going to law school, i think it is just wonderful you have gone so far. Congrats molly! :)

The Rowles said...

So being from the west the sports thing is way different for us. If you are from the south college sports is a whole different thing. You will pick up on this the longer you are there. If you want to score big points on the next interview (lets just assume). Know your FL colleges (GA, AL, NC, SC would be nice to) Miami (Hurricanes) Florida Gainesville (Gators), Florida State Tallahassee (Seminoles, go noles). There's a crash course! Living there the last 3 years gave us some experience. Now that we are in Texas it's the same talk just different teams. People are serious they don't mess around especially since we are right smack in the middle of college football season. Case in point my 8 year old child after reading over my shoulder what I am writing reminded me that South FL (who I forgot) in now ranked number 2 (they came out of nowhere this season). I asked how she knew that, she said her P.E. teach told her? sorry that was so long!! Good luck I'm sure you'll get something soon!

A little insight to the world of Molly, Elliott, and Tinkerbelle!