Saturday, July 19, 2008

This, too, shall pass...right?

Well, I keep hearing good news. Not great news, but good news. So, I'll take the good and be happy with that. Who said trials/sicknesses/afflictions go away overnight? Annie is improving, albeit slowly. She is eating enough now so that they took her off of one of her IV's. One less annoying needle in her is good. The not so great news from the last couple days is that she had an allergic reaction to the original antibiotic she was given. The poor girl just can't catch a break! They have since changed her medication, and I believe the reaction has now gone away. Anyway, if she keeps eating, the doctors are hopeful that they will not have to insert another pick line and thus her exposure for further infection will be reduced. She goes through spurts of being able to eat and keep it down and then spurts of not being able to do it. As of my last update, she has been eating well. (But, given the daily ups and downs of her recovery, I wouldn't be surprised if that changes.) Also, if she continues to get her nutrition on her own, the doctors may release her from the hospital so that she can try to recover at home. We are hoping for that, especially considering each day in the hospital costs upwards of $3,000.00 and unfortunately they hadn't had an opportunity to get insurance coverage yet!

In answers to some people's questions, yes, she is coherent....usually. It just depends on the hour of the day and whether she had some crazy medication issue. :) I've talked to her on the phone a few times, but you can hear the weakness in her voice. She is too weak to really do anything on her own, which is another reason why my parents are needed there. Shelby has been doing well. She loves her grandparents and her daddy. Annie has been pretty sad about not being able to play with her during this time, but I think Shelby is enjoying getting away with things she wouldn't normally get away with. :) Plus, Shelby has been on a Disney kick lately so she has watched movies with her mom.

I'm grateful that Annie is improving. I feel so helpless being so far away from her though. I take comfort in knowing that at least my prayers reach her. I appreciate all of your comments, as they have given me strength as I've struggled to keep the faith that everthing will be okay. I always want things to be fixed right away, and Annie has been sick for about a month now. So, for now, I'll hold onto the little victories she has in this big battle against sickness.

5 comments:

Marylin said...

You all have been on my mind lots lately. The silver lining in these hard times is that we learn to love our families a little more and we learn lots about God's timing and not our own! I have been taught that one many times, you would think I would get it by now :) Love you and hugs from Las Vegas

familiesarepriceless said...

I'm so gald she is doing better. I check every day to see if there is any more news on her. Please let us know if there is anything we can do. As always she is in my prayers.

Erica said...

I can't believe Annie! I have been reading your blog everyday. Thank you so much for keeping it up. I started crying when I was reading this last post. I can't imagine my sister being in the same situation. I'm sure it tears you up, but I think she counts on your strength. I'm praying that Annie is going to catch a break sometimes soon. I hope that everything is going well for you.

tiffunny said...

I was in Annie's ward in Vegas. How scary for her to be going through all of these complications. Poor girl. We're praying and rooting for her down here!

Annie said...

Thanks moo moo for giving updates and it is good to be home again. I am feeling a lot better so you don't need to worry too much, I think it will be over soon enough. Thanks for all your prayers, phone calls, and love! Love ya, Annie

A little insight to the world of Molly, Elliott, and Tinkerbelle!