HELLO TO ALL MY BLOGGING FRIENDS!! Let me start off by apologizing profusely for my lack of blogging. I know you don't want to hear excuses, so I won't give you them all, except to say that time has officially hit the fast-forward button in the Snyder household! Deep breath........ok here's a look into what I've been doing for the past month and a half (and I am sorry there aren't pics):
1. The Job. The job could not be any better! I seriously, truly, honestly LOVE my job. Heavenly Father really blessed me and guided me to my place. My boss, Charlie, is such a smart and sweet guy. He's funny and is very encouraging. He has slowly let me do more and more. Actually, he tells me that he has let me do more and trusted me more than any other associate he's had in the past. He likes my work product and lets me send out letters/motions/discovery without him editing it now. I'm happy that I'm making my boss happy, b/c I want to stay here. Joe, the other attorney, is seriously one of the funniest people I have ever met. He makes me laugh everyday. For instance, he had to interview a doctor by the unfortunate name of Harry Hamburger. Afterwards, he asks me, "Do you think when he was playing football in high school, his coach would slap him on the back and say 'Well done, Hamburger?'" I died laughing. I love punny jokes. Both Charlie and Joe have been so great to work with. They are so willing to answer all of my questions and they always have teaching moments with me. They are very supportive, and they remember what it was like to be a first-year attorney.
I got to do my first deposition (questioning the plaintiff under oath). I was nervous at first, but then I calmed down and I think I did a good job. I also got MY FIRST business card! Haha...I was so excited when they arrived at my office. I also do doctor conferences now and am in charge of medical reports, which can be tedious, but interesting. I also do pre-trial hearings, which is kind of exciting. I have my first mediation scheduled on January 3, 2008, which I am stoked to try out.
Right now, my desk is in a sort of cubicle, but my boss is having an office built for me. We are just waiting on the official estimate and building permits now. I can't wait for my office; I'll feel so official! :)
I love my job, but I will say that working full-time is a definite adjustment from going to school. I remember being super busy in school, and I know school is hard. But, so is working. At least with school you don't necessarily HAVE to be there everyday from 8-5:30. I don't miss school by any means, but I am having a lifestyle adjustment with having to get up so early everyday. Plus, I have to find time to exercise. And then where does blogging come in!??
2. Mom, Papa, and Jamie....came to see us the week before Thanksgiving! It was just for a few days, and I had to work, which was a bit of a bummer, but we had fun anyways! They spoiled us rotten! We had good food, good company, and I got all sorts of gifts. They bought us a fancy new printer that does copying, faxing, scanning, pictures, um...you name it, it does it! My favorite was that they all took my diplomas and Bar Certificate and got them professionally framed, and they look amazing! I totally need to take pics to show them off! It was hard to say goodbye to them, but I really appreciated that they came to see us. I miss you guys!
3. Thanksgiving. We weren't able to come home for the big celebration my family was having. My family all went up to Brianhead and froze, while Elliott and I went 2 hours north and went surfing and basked in the sun! Of course, I forgot my camera, and my friend still hasn't emailed me the pictures. Naomi, a fellow optometry student, and her husband Marcos were going to Naomi's parent's home in Melbourne for Thanksgiving. Her mom invited all of us optometry couples for dinner, so me, Elliott, Jeremiah and Dano ended up going. We left Thanksgiving morning, and when we arrived, Naomi's mom had a hot breakfast ready for us. Then the parents sent all of us off to go surfing while they cooked the meal. We attempted to surf. I ended up being drug across the bottom of the Ocean by the force of a massive wave. Then when I came up from that, another wave hit me and once I regained my feet again, I tripped over my surfboard leash. I then decided I'd rather work on my tan! :) It was fun though, even though I got Ocean Bottom Burn. Then we came home, cleaned up and had a great dinner. Then we watched Shrek 3, had dessert, and just had a great time. Tinkerbelle was invited too, so she had fun with Naomi's doggie. Then we left. It was so nice to go somewhere that felt like home, even if it wasn't "home."
4. Elliott's School. Elliott FINISHED his first semester at optometry school! YAY!! He did really well, finishing with a 3.48 GPA. GO ELLIOTT! Finals time was really crazy with him studying 24/7. We celebrated him being done by going to PF Changs that just opened here. YUM! I'm so proud of Elliott, and it's nice that he's got one semester down!
5. Our 5 Year Anniversary. I can't believe how fast 5 years has flown by for us! I still feel like it was yesterday that I saw this cute guy at Mormon Day at Wet N' Wild and I couldn't stop myself from flirting shamelessly with him. Elliott has been such a light in my life. He calms me down when I get too crazy. He makes me laugh everyday. He makes me want to be a better person. He appreciates everything I do, and tells me everyday that he is so lucky to have a wife like me. The truth is that I am lucky to have him. He's such a sweet and fun guy, and I'm so happy he's mine!
6. Christmas Plans. Well, we are not going to be able to come home this time. I didn't find out what days I could have off until airplane tickets were already like $1600. Plus, I only have 3 days off, so that doesn't leave much time for visiting with everyone since traveling back West takes a whole day. I was really sad about not coming home. I miss my friends and family. However, now I'm excited because Elliott and I planned a getaway for ourselves. At first we were going to go to Disney World, but the cheapest package we could find was $1300, and that didn't even include a great hotel. So, we started looking around for something else. Elliott found a part of Sea World called Discovery Cove. Discovery Cove is a more exclusive part where you have to have reservations to go and they only let in a maximum of 1000 people per day. It's an all day thing where you get (1) a 30 minute swim with the dolphins, (2) unlimited access to their snorkeling gear and coral reefs, (3) access to sting ray wading pools, (4) unlimited access to all of their pools, (5) food, drinks, and snacks, (6) showers/lockers, PLUS (7) a 7-day pass to regular Sea World....all for $250 a person! So, we are doing Discovery Cove and 2 days at regular Sea World. Plus, we made reservations at a really nice hotel....all for cheaper than Disney World OR coming home. We are so excited to go on our vacation. We haven't been on a vacation with just the two of us (and not going to see family as our destination) since our Honeymoon. It will be so much fun!!!
Man, so much has been going on, I can't even begin to write it all. I'm hoping to get in more of a routine with my new job and thus make more time for blogging (i'm way behind in reading them all too!). Life is great here in South Florida, and we sure love it. We do miss everyone though, and we hope you all have a very Merry Christmas! Love you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A little insight to the world of Molly, Elliott, and Tinkerbelle!
4 comments:
She lives! Wow, I have seriously wondered where on earth you had gone!
I'm so glad to hear that the job is going well. This is such a blessing, as many, many first year attorney's hate their jobs with a passion. See what happens when you follow your heart and work hard?
You are wise to avoid Disney during the holidays. I hear it is nuts. It was crazy enough when Liv and I went during the middle of November on a weekday.
Glad to hear that you are enjoying FL! I truly enjoy it here from December until April or May. Then the long summer kicks in and I go into hibernation mode.
Anyway, good luck with everything!
Thank you. Thank you very much! Good to know your lives are going so very well. Have a great Christmas and New Year.
i love hearing your updates and how awesome your life is. um, but i need your new email. i'm still trying to email you @cox.net
You sound like me! My blogging in December has been lacking too, s I have also been busy with work. I know exactly what you mean with adjusting from college student to real-world working...it's a lot harder than you think. I'm so glad you are doing so well...that's great that you love your job. It's a good feeling, yes? And the hamburger joke...that's awesome! Those kind of people are fun to work with...they make the hard days bearable :)
Post a Comment